Brandworkers has an opening for a part-time Operations Coordinator
Brandworkers is a membership organization of local food production workers organizing for dignified jobs and a just food system. While the popularity of local food is soaring, the workers employed behind the scenes in food production facilities are facing deplorable conditions including wage theft, discrimination, and unsafe workplaces.
Brandworkers' mostly immigrant membership produces specialty foods, bakes artisanal bread, processes seafood, and more in a sprawling sector of food manufacturing companies in Brooklyn and Queens. The hand-crafted, expertly produced food that members make is sold at the region's finest gourmet grocery stores and restaurants.
Brandworkers helps members develop as social change leaders and attain the know-how to build their own effective campaigns for workplace justice. After months of intensive preparation, workers lead campaigns that blend on-the-job organizing, coalition-building, and grassroots advocacy for dramatically improved wages and working conditions. The Brandworkers community is a vibrant partnership of immigrant food workers and their allies rising together for wholesome local food and dignified jobs.
Launched in New York in 2007, Brandworkers' central founding principle is that workers themselves are uniquely positioned to lead positive change on the job, in an industry, and in society. Brandworkers members work together and with allies to create a life-enhancing membership experience and contribute to the broader movement for social justice. Members benefit by winning family-supporting jobs, finding their leadership voice, learning critical skills, and participating in a warm, supportive community.
Is a commitment to racial and gender justice central to your identity? Do you thrive on being accountable to workers and pouring everything you have to helping workers win? Do you enjoy working in teams, finding creative solutions to problems, and have conviction for a point of view? Do you pride yourself on candor, uncovering problems, and committing to solutions?
Brandworkers has an opening for a part-time Operations Coordinator. The Operations Coordinator will be a generalist, providing diverse support to Brandworkers Program and Development Departments along with our administrative function. This is a twenty-hour per week position with competitive compensation commensurate with experience.
The ideal candidate will thrive in a culture defined by accountability to workers and commitment to helping workers win. The candidate will believe that members deserve world-class support and should aspire to deliver at that high level. The candidate should be extremely detail-oriented and able to manage competing priorities while focusing on what's truly important to the mission. The candidate will challenge received wisdom, speak up with dissenting views, and search for new and better ways to do things.
1) Serve as support staff to Program and Development initiatives as needed, including major fundraising and campaign initiatives.
2) Operate the Brandworkers database including data entry, list pulling, and ensuring clean/updated data.
3) Assist in the drafting, editing, and sending of diverse organizational communications from tweets to donor mailings.
4) Lead office management functions including ordering supplies, paying vendors, and tracking expenses.
5) Maintain an orderly, professional, and friendly office setting.
6) Help manage schedules, organize meetings, and book events.
7) Provide extraordinary attention to detail in all aspects of Brandworkers operations, especially proof-reading, data entry, and scheduling.
1) Demonstrated commitment to social justice with workers' rights experience a plus.
2) Excellent written and verbal communications skills, English and Spanish preferred.
3) High-proficiency in computer use, with experience using a database and bookkeeping software preferred.
4) Essential commitment to anti-racism, anti-sexism, and anti-heterosexism, among other commitments to justice and equality.
5) Actively seek out candid feedback and actively give candid feedback to achieve excellence.
Is this a mission you would like to take on? Is this the kind of accountable environment in which you thrive?
Send your resume and a meaningful cover letter to Brandworkers Development and Communications Director, Mark Leger at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brandworkers strongly encourages applications from people of color, women, immigrants, indigenous people, LGBT people, and other traditionally oppressed communities.